Yellow Gray

Monday, June 20, 2011

Pig Swimming



Raegan had a fun 2 weeks of swimming class. To say that they are lessons would be a little over-ambitious. It's more like doing whatever we want for 35 minutes with life guards and "instructors" watching. The pool is wade-in style, which is really nice for little kids. She didn't seem to mind that there were no fish or ducks in her class, only real humans. The first day she just walked in the shallow water and splashed a little. Tuesday the water was cold and she asked to go home. Wednesday we took Olivia pig in her floaties and Raegan made her jump in from the side. "Pig swimming!" In no time, Raegan wanted to jump in from the side. She doesn't want to go all the way under, and her face is braced for being splashed long before she hits the water. On the last day of class, they turned on the water slide and let all ages try it. Raegan has been dying to go. She went twice in my lap, then decide she needed to do it "self." She twisted onto her stomach halfway down and got all wet and cried. The lifeguard handed her to me, still shaken up, and Raegan said, "Again!" We went to the top again, but she didn't want to go when it was her turn.

It has been smoky and hazy from the wildfires in Arizona, so we've limited our outdoor time. I've been busy with orders the past few days. I had 6 projects going on and have knocked out most of them. I'm still working on a wedding set and a Morrocan-themed card for a family who just moved to Morocco. One side is their new address and the other is a birthday announcement for their little boy since they can't be with family for a party.

Photo changed for privacy
Camel by Pink Pueblo

Ryan is back from a work trip and it has not been my finest week. I was not been as patient as I'd like to be. Raegan doesn't want to change clothes/ diaper. Thursday I even used my very best teacher voice and it didn't phase her. Usually, something I say finally gets through to her and she says, "Okay!" and magically becomes compliant. Or maybe she just decides when she's pushed my buttons enough, who knows. She had a small meltdown in Toys R Us. I told her ahead of time that we were there for a birthday present for another child. I let her out of the cart to see the bikes and cars. Bad move, I know. She was having so much fin sitting in a Big Wheels police car pushing buttons and turning the steering wheel. I told her it was time to go and she caught me off guard with "Two more minutes." So I set my watch for 2 minutes and she didn't want to get out when the watch beeped. I had to climb back in the shelf and get her out. She was crying and trying to get away from me. It was all very short lived because I bopped right over to the truck aisle and she forgot all of her problems when she saw a fire truck. I think we've reached a point when toy stores need to be a solo trip for me on weekends.



No comments: